Autumn - Conkers

Autumn is here and a gentle reminder for you all.  

Please keep your four legged friends  away from conkers as they're toxic to dogs , however, serious cases of illness are rare. 

Conkers contain a chemical called aesculin – found in all parts of the horse chestnut tree, including the leaves – which is  highly poisonous to dogs if chewed and eaten.  

Although fatalities in cases where dogs have consumed conkers are rare, we still advised you to be cautious 

They can vomit, collapse, have diarrhoea and go into toxic shock & they can also cause blockages in your pet's stomach. . Signs of illness usually arise after a couple of days but dogs can show signs of being poisoned within one to six hours of consuming the conkers, But if you think your pet has eaten a conker, contact your vet immediately!!

Leave a comment