*** BLUE-GREEN ALGAE ***
We love to see our dogs having fun in lakes and rivers and it's the perfect way for them to cool off in the summer, but please be aware of the dangers of some algae that may be found in our waters.
Blue-green algae can be toxic to dogs.
Call your vet immediately if you suspect poisoning.
Do not let your dog drink from or swim in water containing blue-green algae.
Sadly, exposure to toxic blue-green algae is often fatal, and can also cause long term health problems in dogs that survive after drinking or swimming in algae-contaminated water.
If your dog shows any of the following signs after drinking from, or swimming or paddling in water, contact your vet immediately and tell them you are concerned about blue-green algae:
Blue-green algae poisoning often eventually causes fatal liver failure.
IS BLUE-GREEN ALGAE A HEALTH RISK TO HUMANS?
Yes, blue-green algae can cause skin rashes, sickness, stomach pains, fever and headaches in humans. There have been some reports of more serious illnesses including liver and brain damage. Children are at greater risk than adults.
If you think you have spotted blue-green algae in water and cannot see any signage, report it to the Environment Agency who can investigate.
IF IN DOUBT STAY OUT OF THE WATER